The way I see it, if you were born into one of the Socialist Soviet Republics in 1960, you had five basic options:
1. Be a member of the proletariat, work in the Soviet machine, take what the social controllers give you.
2. Join the Party, become a social controller yourself.
3. Try to fight/overthrow the Party. You'd probably lose and get executed.
4. Mildly subvert the Party - be a black marketer or capitalist. I met a woman in Los Angeles whose family black marketed goods from West Germany into Poland, amazing woman and amazing family. Apparently they'd take defective West German products like women's pantyhose with runs in them and sell them to little kiosks for money... they were one of the wealthier families in Poland.
5. Try to escape to Britain, America, Australia, or anywhere else more free.
I think I'd try to escape. What would you do?